About Us

Minto LogoMinto New Logo

Hawick TD9 8SA

01450 870220, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

visitors book roundfive day timesheetresults trophieshandicap datamembers book round

enter opensmatchplay progressenter medalsmedal draws

Minto through the ages

When we were compiling the story about the names of the Holes on the Golf Course, we started looking at old maps of Minto to investigate some of the locations referenced by the names.  There will soon be links to relevant maps in the names story, but we thought it would be worthwhile putting links to the maps on the Home Page for a couple of weeks so that anyone interested can see how Minto and the surrounding area has changed over the years., It's probably fair to say that it hasn't changed that much but maps of different times do show a few changes. To see the maps in detail click on the small images below. 

The maps have all been taken from online archive of maps held by the National Library of Scotland which can be explored in depth by clicking through on the link.  We are grateful to the Library for granting permission to publish the extracts on the website.  The Library holds an extensive on-line high resolution archive of old maps at a wide variety of scales and time periods covering the whole of Scotland.  It is an archive worth visiting.

The maps below are presented as extracts from a variety of scales.  Please be aware that the images are screen captures from enlarged maps and cannot be considered as true to scale.  Extracts are taken from old Ordnance Survey maps published  at scales of 25 inches to the mile (approximately 1:2500), 6 inches to the  the mile (approximately 1:10000),  2.5 inches to the mile (approximately 1:25000) and 1 inch to the mile (1:63360)  There is one extract taken from the current Ordnance Survey Getamap service.  The Find Us link on the Home Page can also be used to explore up-to-date mapping around Minto at a variety of scales.

The first three maps are taken from 25 inch to the mile mapping and show the area occupied by the Course today as well as showing changes around Minto House.  All of these images predate the Golf Course, but you will still recognise some of the features on and around the Minto Estate.  The map on the left dates from 1858, the middle one dates from 1898 and the one on the right from 1918

 The next three map extracts are taken from 6 inch to the mile mapping and display a wider area given the smaller scale.  The location of Fatlips Castle is shown on these extracts.  The map on the left dates from 1863, the middle one from 1897 and the right one is more modern at 1938.  However, there is very little difference shown between 1897 and 1938.  Although the Golf Course was opened in the 1920s, the 1938 extract doesn't indicate the presence of the Course.

 The next scale is 2.5 inches to the mile.  There is only one old map available at this scale and it has to be presented in two parts.  The Ordnance Survey Pathfinder Series of the time [1954] was formatted on very rigid 20Km by 10Km sheetlines and there was a sheetline running east to west across the bottom field of the golf course.  The first extract on the left shows the northern part, while the right hand extract shows the southern half.  The southern half is the first extract to admit to there being a Golf Course at Minto.

 

The next set of map extracts are taken from the Ordnance Survey 1 inch to the miles series.  These extracts extend to Hassendean in the west, Denholm to the south and Menslaw to the east.  To some extent, the five extracts (1859, 1895, 1926, 1946, and 1956) illustrate changes in cartography more than changes on the ground as there is not a great deal of change on the ground.  Between 1859 and 1895 there is a change in the road pattern immediately to the North West of Denholm.  1926 saw the introduction of colour (although there was some colour in the 1858 large scale map in the top row before Ordnance Survey decided it was uneconomic to use colour in such maps.  It was only the development of digital mapping in the latter part of the 20th century that brought colour back to Large Scale Ordnance Survey mapping).  The 1946 extract introduces the electricity pylon line to south and east of Denholm.  There is no mention of the Golf Course on the 1946 extract even though the Course had been open for nearly 20 years by that time  The final extract of 1956 admits to the existence of the Golf Course and typography has been modernised significantly..

All the map extracts shown above have been digitised by the National Library of Scotland from old paper maps in their records.  The final extract below is derived directly from the current Ordnance Survey digital database.  This database is updated daily and maps of many scales  an be derived from the data on demand.  The extract below has been generated from data from a number of survey scales that have been harmonised in the database.. The extract was taken from a screenshot on 18th February.